Home security systems are an investment, and with any investment, it’s wise to do your research before you buy. But researching home security may leave you wondering, “This would be great to have, but is it worth it?”
The answer is yes, as long as you have the right system and products in place.
Would you mind looking at why it’s wise to invest in a home security system and how to make sure you get the most out of your investment?
Reasons to invest in a home security system.
When you think of a home security system, what comes to mind? If you automatically picture an alarm going off when someone attempts to break into your home, you’re right. But there’s so much more to a smart security system than that.
Check out these ten reasons to invest in a home security system:
- Protect your family from burglars and intruders. According to the FBI, more than 1.4 million burglaries occur in the United States each year, and another report found that 27% of the time, someone is home during the break-in. A smart home security system helps deter break-ins while alerting your family if your home is broken into.
- Protect your family from fires. A complete security system goes beyond just break-ins and includes a network of smoke detectors to alert you in the event of a fire so that you can get to safety as quickly as possible.
- Protect your family from carbon monoxide. Another deadly threat, carbon monoxide, is odourless and tasteless, making it impossible to detect without a proper carbon monoxide detector. A carbon monoxide detector with active monitoring alerts you to the presence of this toxic gas.
- Day and night monitoring. When your security system includes alarm monitoring, your home is watched over 24/7. Monitoring professionals will also dispatch emergency personnel to your home if you’re not there.
- Deter crime before it happens. A study from Rutgers University found that the presence of a burglar alarm was an effective deterrent from break-ins. In neighbourhoods where multiple alarms were installed, fewer burglaries occurred overall.
- Increase your home’s resale value. Want to increase demand for your home if you decide to move? A security system can help. A recent survey of people shopping for homes found that wireless security systems and security cameras topped the list of tech must-haves.
- Save on homeowner’s insurance. Because security systems are an effective deterrent against property crime, many insurance companies provide a discount on homeowner’s insurance policies if you have a system.
- Get medical assistance in an emergency. Security systems equipped with panic buttons or fobs allow you to get medical help or contact emergency personnel with the push of a button.
- You may be able to write it off on your taxes. If you work from home or operate a small home business, you may be able to write off the alarm system expense for that portion of your home on your income taxes. Check with your accountant or local and federal government tax rules to see if it applies to your home and business.
- Save on energy bills. When your security system is part of a complete home automation system, you can save money on your energy and lighting bills.
With so many benefits beyond basic burglar alarms, even homes in the safest neighbourhoods will benefit from an intelligent security system.
With inflation outstripping wage growth, most of us are trying harder to find ways to save money. We might cut down on electricity usage and avoid unnecessary expenses. Perhaps, you consider a home security system as a luxury you can’t afford.
However, when the well-being and safety of your loved ones are so crucial to you, you might consider a reliable home security system as a valuable investment – significantly when it can lower your insurance premiums and save you money.
We’ve prepared a list of these and other advantages to install a sound security system.
If you’re looking for a home security camera, then look no further! Security Systems has you covered.
Peace of mind
It is undeniable that we live in a dangerous world. In Australia alone – there are more than 200,000 burglaries every year. According to the Australian Institute of Criminology, 20% of burglary victims will have their homes broken into more than once.
If this happens to your family, it can take a long time to recover from the trauma. And it’s a similar story in the UK and other advanced economies.
Your loved ones should feel safe inside your home and consider it as a haven. While alarm systems do not guarantee 100% security, they can still make a huge difference.
Protect your assets
We also want our family to live a happy and comfortable life. That is why we spend most of our waking hours trying to provide for them.
It can be devastating to have all our hard-earned possessions taken away from us in one night. Burglars find ingenious ways to steal cars without even entering the house, making security gates a worthwhile investment.
Burglars often take items with sentimental value to us too. What if they steal the last piece of jewellery that a departed loved one gave you? What if they take a mobile phone filled with pictures of your kids growing up?
When you install a reliable security system, you can prevent this from happening. It is better to be prepared and spend a little over your budget than be regretful in the end.
Visual documentation of the crime
Burglars themselves have said that CCTV cameras (along with barking dogs) are the best deterrent. And where they don’t deter, they can visually document the crime and be used as evidence in criminal prosecution.
Monitor your home
We often worry about home security the most when we’re away on holiday or on a business trip. Luckily, security systems and surveillance cameras can now be monitored remotely from your phone and send alerts if a break-in is suspected.
If alerts are triggered, then you can visually verify if there’s an intruder and alert the police; if so, if you don’t get a sign, then you can enjoy your holiday with peace of mind.
Discourage burglary attempts
Burglars only need about eight to 12 minutes to accomplish their goals. However, when they hear the blaring siren of your security system, they usually make a quick exit without taking much or anything, knowing that the police are just a few moments away.
You can mount motion detectors on your windows and doors. When someone comes near them or tries to damage an entry point, the sensors will light up or sound the alarm.
Before committing the crime, burglars usually observe the house they are targeting. If they see that you have CCTV or motion detectors installed around your property, they will probably remove you from their hit list.
Thieves prefer to commit crimes in darkness, and cameras and light triggering motion sensors pose a big problem.
Protection during a fire
Investing in a smoke alarm is also necessary – especially when you live in a bushfire zone or have older people in your house. When someone forgets to turn off the stove, you can be alerted and take preventative action.
But what if the smoke alarm goes off and no one is in your home? What if no one hears the alarm?
Well, you will be delighted to know that there are smoke alarms that can be connected to a third-party monitoring company. So even when no one is at home, someone can alert the authorities and dispatch firefighters to your house.
Lower your insurance premium
When you improve the level of security of your home, you can get lower home and contents insurance premiums. When your insurance company sees that you are taking preventative measures in securing your home, they will consider your house as less of a risk.
You can even ask for a discount on your premium.
Emergency medical assistance
If you live with elderly loved ones or with relatives who suffer from certain medical conditions, you can find systems that can be customised to include medical emergency features.
Your loved ones can wear a pendant that can be connected to the security system. In the event of a medical emergency, they have to press the button on their charm, and a medical team will be dispatched to your home right away – giving you peace of mind when they’re at home alone.
Are Home Security Systems Worth It?
Do you need a home security system? Only you can decide if you want to invest beyond simple home security measures. However, with burglary as common as it is in the United States, having an alarm system can at the very least give you peace of mind.
Protects Your Valuable Possessions
If you know anyone who has ever lost valuable possessions like jewellery, electronics, or personal items due to a home invasion, you know how devastating it can be. Many material objects can be replaced. However, other sentimental things might never be found and might be irreplaceable.
This is one of the most apparent benefits that can make home security worth it for many families. Many criminals are looking out for security systems as it’s important to them that they can enter and leave a property without being noticed.
The presence of a home security system is a common reason that burglars will move on to find an easier target. This leaves your property and your family safe.
Lowers Homeowners Insurance
Having a home security system can cause your homeowner’s insurance to decrease in price. Insurance companies see having a security system as an effective deterrent against theft. For this reason, they will often charge you less to insure your property.
Home security systems are a valuable investment. To enjoy maximum benefits, you can contact a security specialist and ask them about other safety features you can install, such as roller shutters, security doors and infill grills.
Here at Security Systems, we provide an extensive range of security monitoring and CCTV security systems.
Should I Get A Home Security System?
You can invest hundreds of dollars into a home security system and still get robbed. Some brave thieves can still break in and make away with valuables before enforcement shows up. And a cheap ski mask will defeat the purpose of those surveillance cameras. This fact can have potential buyers like yourself sceptical over whether such a system is worth the money.
You may find your risk is less once you install a system, or you may save a lot of money with your insurance company by investing. Or maybe you have more peace of mind and can sleep easier. The effectiveness of a home security system – and whether it’s worth it to you – depends on your priorities and what you hope to get out of it.
Financial Pros And Cons
- Most systems require a sizable minimum investment.
When you’re getting a home security system, there are usually two primary costs you’ll pay upfront: an installation fee and equipment fees. While you may get the installation fee discounted or waived, the equipment can cost anywhere from $600 to $1,200.
- Monthly monitoring isn’t free.
Aside from the upfront cost of getting set up with a security system, you also have to pay a monthly fee for the monitoring service. Prices range pretty widely from one company to the next; the typical cost is usually around $30.
- You could get stuck with a long-term contract.
Security companies want to make sure you’re going to keep paying the monitoring fee each month, and one of the ways they do that is by requiring you to lock in your service for a set time. Frontpoint, for example, requires a 3-year contract after the initial 30-day trial expires, and there’s a hefty fee if you cancel your service early.
- Your credit may take a hit.
Most home security systems require you to submit a credit check when setting up a new account. Whenever you apply for new credit, the inquiry could show up on your credit report and ding your score a little.
- A security system can minimise burglary’s financial impact.
While some burglars will press their luck and enter a home where a security system is present, it doesn’t guarantee that they’re going to make off with a big haul. According to a Temple University study, burglary losses were a lot less when an alarm was present ($3,266 versus $5,343) because it prevents the robbers from being able to pick through your stuff leisurely. An alarm makes it so that they only have a limited time before enforcement shows up.
- The same is true for fires.
Having a home security system can come in handy in more ways than one if you experience a fire. In 2013, fire damage to homes topped $11 billion, but having fire monitoring as part of your alarm package may shrink potential losses.
- Your insurance premiums may go down.
Homeowner’s insurance can be pricey, but installing a security system can save you a little money. According to the Insurance Information Institute, your insurance company may offer discounts ranging from 5% to 20% when you have a home alarm.
- And your home’s value may go up.
If you’re planning to sell your home down the line or you’re just looking to build up a little more equity, a home security system can do the trick. Taking extra precautions to ensure your home is secure is an easy way to boost the property’s value.
Are Home Security Systems Effective?
Home security systems are one of your best lines of defence against home burglary. When thieves are looking for targets, they look for homes that they feel confident they can get in and out of without being detected. Your home is protected when it has an audible or visible security system that includes features like alarms, outdoor or motion-sensor lights, security cameras, and stickers advertising the system.
What happens if a criminal still went through with trying to break into your home despite the clear signs that you have a security system? This creates a scenario where there is a much higher likelihood that the police will track them down. Security camera footage is an essential piece of evidence that can be the crucial key that helps identify burglars.
Measuring Their Effectiveness
- Security systems may cause burglars to think twice.
- Installing a home alarm may be an effective deterrent against burglary. Researchers at UNC Charlotte surveyed a group of burglars and found that 60% of would-be thieves would choose another target if a security system were present.
- They’ve been linked to lower overall crime rates.
- The positive impact of home security systems isn’t limited to just one residence. In a University study, burglary rates declined across specific neighbourhoods as a whole when homeowners installed alarm systems.
- They can protect you against fire.
- In addition to monitoring your home for security threats, today’s alarm systems are also equipped to detect smoke. When you consider that the death rate from fire in homes that don’t have an alarm is twice as high as those that do, that’s an excellent reason to keep a security system in mind.
- Or help you avoid water damage.
- While the prospect of fire is undoubtedly frightening, water can wreak just as much havoc on your home. Flooding caused more than $2.8 billion in property damage in 2014, but installing a security system that’s equipped with water sensors can help to minimise your potential losses.
- They can make a difference in life and death situations.
- Nearly 140 million people go to the emergency room each year, many of them with life-threatening issues. Choosing a home security system that offers life monitoring helps ensure that responders are notified quickly if you’re experiencing a medical problem emergency.
- They may help to deter repeat burglaries.
- If you’ve been the victim of a burglary in the past, you’re statistically 5 1/2 times more likely to be targeted by burglars again. Equipping your home with security cameras or a wireless alarm system can send the signal to criminals that you’re on your guard.
- But they’re not 100% foolproof.
- Security systems are like anything else – they’re prone to occasional hiccups. It’s estimated that the false alert rate for home alarm systems may be as high as 95%. They may even be susceptible to hackers.
- The majority of home security systems on the market today run on communications, which means you don’t need a landline to make it work. While this is more convenient for you, there is a downside. A Hewlett Packard study found that 70% of monitoring systems have weak points in their security and software that could allow a hacker to gain access to your home.
Is It Time For You to Install a Home Security System on Your Property?
Sadly, home break-ins are a common form of property crime in the United States. You’ve worked hard to build a safe, secure, and comfortable home for yourself and your family. The last thing you want is for a criminal to waltz onto your property and threaten your family’s safety and steal your most valuable possessions.
Are our home security systems worth it? In short, yes, they are.
They don’t just ensure that you’ll receive faster police response time and help increase the likelihood that a criminal will be caught and prosecuted. They also can help to deter a burglary from ever occurring in the first place.
Security Systems provides expert home alarm system installation for your residential or commercial infrastructure.